Wednesday, February 6, 2008

New ribbon experiments

I've been looking to invest in different ribbons. I found this great ruffled silk grosgrain only to be told by the source that it's a discontinued one. Drat! Of course I really like it! it's the one on the right of the photo. I also like the Silk Plisse ribbon shown in the center but it comes from the same source and she is retail only whifrom and see about wholesale but it's not always easy. The third ribbon shown in the photo is a velvet which dyed very darkly so I need to work with it a bit more.



The ribbon below shows a dupioni silk which is a bias cut ribbon. A true ribbon is woven and has edges, this is bias cut from fabric and sewn together at intervals. I like how the edges fray after dyeing and washing. I also have this in a wider size .



I'm still waiting to get my order from the Gift Fair and after I experiment with those ribbons I will be putting together some necklaces to show and sell. I know it has taken me a while to follow through but sometimes that's just the way it goes. Thank you to those who have been inquiring.

I used my scanner to photograph these and I'm not happy with it. I need a different scanner, so until that happens I'll go back to using my digital camera.

2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

As always, your ribbons are beautiful. I like the idea of the not-really-a-ribbon with frayed edges.

Joanne

Anonymous said...

I think the bias cut 'ribbon' will make lovely wayward threads as well as necklaces. Love the coppery colors.

jan