Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Experimenting Making Fabric Flowers


I have been dabbling at creating interesting flowers out of fabrics, mostly silk, to adorn garments with. Some of these I'm happy with and others I feel need to be perfected a little, but it's fun to experiment.

I found this blog where Kim has shown her fabric roses and you'll can see a demo too. Aren't they lovely? Here are the ones I tried with this technique. They don't look as inviting as hers but I think there is potential for me.



This flower has a ways to go before I'm happy with it and perhaps this idea will not come to fruition? I made the flower from dyed velvet, added a silk yoyo that I had stamped a saying on and attached by sewing Tahitian fresh water pearls.



You can view some fabulous sewn silk blooms at Jennifer's etsy shop. Jennifer and I are teaching a class at Art Unraveled "Wayward Blooms to Dye For" where you can learn to dye silk fabrics and ribbons and create your own blooms!

1 comment:

Joanne Huffman said...

I love your flowers.