Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pondering


I love this old picture of my sister Jan.  I know the photo is black and white but I remember this dress being red velvet with off white lace trim and an off white organza like skirt.  My mother probably made it as she made a lot of our clothes when we were young girls.



Jan is coming to visit me today and I can hardly wait.  We plan to work together in my studio for a whole week with a few side journey's.  Perhaps we'll make it to the Alameda Flea Market, to the beach for a walk and lunch, or maybe just sitting outside looking at the view with a glass of wine.  She and her husband recently moved from Dallas to Medford Oregon, a little closer to me so I think we'll see each other more often.

I'm starting to get applications for teaching and vending for 2013 and as always I wonder what I have to offer that people want to learn.  If you're reading this and have something special you'd like to take a class from please let me know what that is.

I have been formulating upcycled clothing classes in my head and have some ideas that I am excited about and really want to teach but have no idea if anyone would be interested?  The class would not require any advanced knowledge of clothing construction, would not require you to bring many supplies.  Would this make the class more inviting?  I always like teaching dye classes and am happy to keep doing that, ribbons, fabrics, scarves.  I can teach nuno felting with different projects, wrist wraps and scarves or book pages.  I am most recently involved in creating upcycled clothing from vintage slip dresses to refashioning shirts.

I would love to hear any thought from readers pertaining to classes and your ideas!!

To see classes I'm teaching this year please visit Art Unraveled and Art Is You Petaluma (click on the side bar where you see them listed).


8 comments:

jan b. said...

Yes, Mom made that dress and I remember it well as it was my favorite. And fortunately, I got to wear "it" for quite some time. Remember how Mom always made us matching dresses? ... and with you being the older >wink<, I was the recipient of your hand-me-downs. :)

jan b. said...

For the benefit of anyone reading this. I want to add ... "no we are not twins" - there's near 3 years age difference!

Joanne Huffman said...

Be sure to give Jan my love! I know you two will have a great visit.

Angie in AZ said...

I think the new class idea is a great one!

martha brown said...

I would love to take an upcycled clothing class from you! That or one of those beautiful ribbon scarves.... even though I've already bought 2 from you :)

Kim Schrag said...

Have a great time! I seem to remember this picture too.

jackie said...

Lorri - I just saw photos of both Joanne's and Fran's creations from their private workshop with you and I am so jealous!! Both of the clothes and of the workshop! If I were able to take a class from you I'd definitely want to do a shirt like Joanne's. Also a wrist wrap! Also, I'll bet that some students would love to learn how to do fabric journal pages like the one you did recently - it is AMAZING! Best of luck to you - have a wonderful visit with Jan! Hope your eye issues are much better!!

Tiffany Tasting Food said...

Appreciate the time you took to post this