Sunday, January 17, 2010

Upscaled, Reconstructed, Altered Vintage Clothing?



When my friend Jennifer and I began taking vintage slips and bedjackets and "doodadding" them up I wasn't sure how far I would go with it. Now I am taking old linen jackets to recreate as well as interesting shirts as you see in the photos. I am still not happy with my options to photograph without a model. I laid this on the floor and I think this method has potential if I get a neat piece of cloth to lay it on (not the wrinkled sheet I used, geez)! I am also going to start making a plaster cast that I will be able to use to drape clothing on.

Now I'm seeing other people who are reconstructing vintage and old clothing who are calling it many things ~ altered, upscaled, reconstructed, recycled, redesigned, eco-friendly, and restyled. I have never known which I prefer that conveys what the garments are. I know the term "doodad" is not professional but I always felt like that says what is being done. Here's what Mawed Recycled Fashions says "It’s a fashion trend that has been labled Eco Couture / Cast-Off Couture or Trashion. It’s SUSTAINABLE STYLE – and it makes a statement."

I do have a name for my line of clothing and sewn stoles which is "wayward threads" but to elaborate on what they are calls for more terminology. So which term do you prefer?

4 comments:

Jood said...

Lorri--I'm lovin' those Doodah Duds!
Jood

Angie in AZ said...

I LOVE, LOVE, Love this one! Just my color! :)

Joanne Huffman said...

These are all so wonderful! I'm not sure it matters what you call them as long as people can see how beautiful they are.

nandas said...

i like sustainable style as an addition after wayward threads.


everything is so beautiful that i agree it doesn't matter really.