Sunday, August 31, 2008

DJ Pettit's Tote Workshop



I didn't get to finish my tote in DJ's class but I did get it all laid out. These are "in progress" pictures. I plan to use the feathers part of this bolo as the closure and Irene gave me the copper metallic thread I'll embellish with. I was so engrossed in working on my project I did not stop to take any pictures! I know Kathy took photos so you can look for her to post them on her blog in the near future.

I purchased a postcard years ago in Berkeley somewhere and always loved the photo of a man flying amongst the birds. I was able to locate the artist Quint Buchholz via the Internet and he gave me permission to copy the photo. So for the back of the tote I drew some outlines of birds and cut them out of black fabric to adhere to the tote.

Most of the fabric I used was purchased in Phoenix, AZ. where Angie and Fran took me to a fabulous fabric store. I only used one fabric that was my hand shibori dyed. I just didn't have any of my dyed fabrics on hand to use in these colors and on Sunday at my dye workshop I did not have time to dye my own fabrics then. Thank you Angie & Fran!

I don't know when I'll finish this but know that I will complete it soon. I'm not one to leave a lot of UFO's around.

DJ is a wonderful, sharing, teacher and I would recommend anyone taking a class with her!


3 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

Your tote is going to be fantastic. I look forward to seeing it all completed. I love the bird images you did and the postcard is very cool; how nice that you were able to contact the artist.

Joanne

Kathy McElroy said...

Your tote was looking marvelous before I left. As soon as I get this big art & craft show behind me, I will finish up with mine. I will let you know when the pictures are posted. Thanks again for a marvelous day.

Anonymous said...

very cool! Will you have it done before you go to MO? (read - Will you have it with you in MO?)

jan