Friday, October 18, 2019

Progress of Writing a Book "wayward threads"





I finally feel comfortable to publicize that I have been writing a book on my upcycled clothing designs for over a year.  The title is “wayward threads: techniques and ideas for upcylcling unloved or discarded garments”.

I started out with a timeline that was unrealistic.  I had no idea about how long it would really take.  The concept was in my head for several years.  Around August of 2018 I said “I’m going to do, it I’m going to write this book”!  I had a lot of encouragement from friends and peers and so I began thinking that within a year it would be done.  Well that year marker has come and gone but I am on the downhill slope of it all.  

I am so happy that Tonia Jenny was interested in editing the book for me.  I hired her soon after I determined I was actually going to write the book and she has been so patient with me watching the deadlines I set march by.

I will be self publishing through Kindle Direct Publishing which is Amazon.

During this year plus time I did not quit traveling or teaching or doing shows so that took time away from working on the book. I would work on the book projects and then shift gears to make garments and dye fabrics and scarves, all the usual items I create for shows.  Then I would work on class projects and all that entails to apply at art retreats and making kits.  Then back to the book like the swing of a pendulum.

I also did some traveling for fun.  I went to Alaska for ten days to see the Glacier Bay area.  I took a trip to the San Juan Islands of Washington State.  I took two trips to Sedona to take art workshops, one with Kate Thompson and one with Cas Holmes.

Now I am away again visiting friends in Texas and will be traveling to Missouri to visit my folks and friends there.

When I return home I will be preparing for the Goat Hill Fair at the Watsonville, CA fairgrounds November 9 & 10.  This is a very cool vintage fair I am so happy to be part of.

After vending at Goat Hill I only have a couple of garments to finish details on for the book before the photo shoot to take “beauty” shots.  Whew!  Really I think this will be the finale for the book to be ready to send to the editor.  

I will be launching a website when I get closer to publishing so I will be announcing the url when it is up and running with all the info about my book and how and where to purchase it!

3 comments:

Chris Flynn said...

Lorri.... I'm so excited for you that the 'process' is moving along so well now...and that you find time to write with the busy schedule you maintain! Everything you do is always such fine quality....I know this book will reflect the essence of your creativity! You have a huge fan base...and we all are thrilled, looking forward to publication! Hugs to you my friend.

Joanne Huffman said...

This is so cool! You have a great work ethic as well as amazing artistry. I'm looking forward to your book.

Connie said...

can’t wait! i’m in!