Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Wayward Blooms" & Hat Workshop


Friends wearing hats and looking fabulous in them at Art Unraveled 2008!


Sunday & Monday my dear friend Jennifer and I gave a mini hat making class( mini as in few people because my studio is small). Fabrics were dyed to make flower pins to adorn the hat, then we made the flowers using torn strips of fabrics for leaves and dupioni bias ribbon and other silk pieces for the main flower. The finishing touch is using vintage buttons. Below are three flowers pins I made.

I didn't get my hat finished since I was too busy helping run the workshop, know how that goes right? But I will work on it tomorrow and should get it sewn and I'll post final pictures then. Jennifer was very thorough on showing exactly how to sew the hat and add the brim wire!

This is such a fun class and it's amazing that it really is pretty easy if you have any sewing skills at all, mostly hand sewing. A whole embellished hat! What I learn though is that when people start dyeing fabrics and ribbons, they don't want to quit! And I say but we have to go onto to the next part, "but but but just one more piece to dye? they say."

We've proposed to teach this class at Art Unraveled in Phoenix so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get selected because it's an awesome class!






I've added some more dyed ribbons at my Etsy shop.

2 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

The pins are gorgeous and it would truly be an awesome class - I'd sign up!

Joanne

Connie said...

oh wow - this is one class i would love to take!
your pins are beautiful!
where are the pictures of the hats made?
connie